It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Announcement!
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:23 am 

backbydemand wrote:
OK, I have recently acquired a 24 port rack mount switch that I am using to build a home network
Before I box it in the attic with a 1000ft of cabling behind the walls I am lending it to the LAN for the weekend
Along with a whole new set of CAT6 cabling that Daz is brining to the LAN we should have a full speed network with no bottlenecks or dropouts

How on earth can you justify a 24 port switch in your house? I use 2 ports in my router, one of which goes to an 8 port gigaswitch upstairs where my pc's are, of which only 4 ports are used. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:12 am 

Cos the missus works from home and we have an office setup in a converted garage, that has 2 PCs, a laptop and 2 network printers.

Each of the 3 bedrooms has 2 network ports, so I can plug in any combination of PC, console, media streamer, etc (kids will want them).

The living room has network ports for a Sky+HD box, a console, a media streamer, a Bluray and 1 spare in case I plug in a laptop.

Then there are 3 IP cameras, 2 for security and 1 in the babys bedroom so I can use it as a baby monitor.

There will need to be a port spare to plug in the router, got one with its own gigabit switch so I get no bottlenecks there and finally I have an old Shuttle PC next to the switch in the attic which is acting a file server now I have yanked out the optical drive and connected 4 x 2TB drives to it.

Admittedly that's only 21 but they don't sell a 21 port router but its nice to know I can add extra NAS drives in the future.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:09 am 

The router with the gigabit switch which one have you gone for? Just wondering if it's the same one that I have gone for too.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:03 pm 

The Belkin N1 Vision, it's a real peach, shame it's going to be hidden in a cupboard cos the LCD display is mighty fine

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:34 pm 

Gone for the TP-LINK Wireless N Gigabit Router TL-WR1043ND myself. With switch being TP-LINK as well they should marry up nicely. But your right the Belkin N1 Vision looks mighty nice to the point that i've in fact just ordered one of them :). Be nice to try out to compare and contrast the 2 of them to see what there like. Then one will be the Apache Lan router and one will replace the old 100mb router that i'm presently using at home. So thank you kindly for the heads up :).

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:52 pm 

that n1 router looks like it has hair lol :lol:

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2