Soundcard suggestions please

Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Re: Soundcard suggestions please

Post by Golem »

Well, I got a Xonar 7.1 PCI-e card and a Speedlink Medusa NX headset. Not bad at all! The sound card driver interface is easy to use and has some cool features. The HD audio front panel connector works fine with my case, which was a relief. I had to shunt things about inside though because the nvidia cards were covering both PCI-e 1x slots.

Talking of which, anyone actually put in a PCI-e 1x card before? It feels flimsier than a SATA interface, especially when it would unseat slightly when screwing it in against the case slot. Works though, so I think I'm safe.

I haven't got a 5.1 speaker setup never mind 7.1. But the headset is supposed to be 5.1 (which I thought was an odd concept at first.) Still, this 5.1 headset actually works well in movies! I tried it with FEAR 2. The game doesn't seem to use sound brilliantly in all cases and the directional stuff is a LITTLE sensitive, in that talking characters sounded more off to the left or right than they appeared to be on screen. But when guards and such enemies were moving in from other directions and trod on glass or moved a chair, I could immediately tell where they were and do something about it, which is a good feeling in a game like this. I think I still have some adjustments to make because it feels like there's not enough bass. I'm turning it up for sound effects and music but the dialogue is sounding a tad harsh on my ears!

I also didn't know this headset has a vibration feature. I'm guessing it's activated based on the amount of bass? I don't know, but when the game starts and I'm in the APC (and when certain mega-explosive events take place), the effect is incredibly immersive!

Talking of volume, the headset is extremely loud. I have windows' sound turned down to 50%, in game down to about 20% and the volume dials on the headset down to about 3.5/10, and that sounds about right!

Short version: Happy with my new kit. :)