LlamaLAN XI - VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

17th-19th April 2009
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

LlamaLAN XI - VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

Post by CyberDrac »

LlamaGROUPIES,

The Management team have thought long and hard, we've borrowed power meters and tested a variety of gaming rigs with them. As you are probably all aware a single UK plug can only draw 13 Amps, the LlamaLAN events to date have all been run from TEN, yes you heard right a mere TEN, sockets. At the moment we are supporting FIVE attendees per socket, for this event we will endeavour to run ... *cue drum roll* ... SIX per socket.

Our calculations are based on a maximum draw per attendee of 2A, which may not sound like a lot, but my personal PC with an Core2Duo 6600, 4Gb RAM, 4 HDDs, an Optical Drive, and 2 fans, driving a 24" monitor on draws 1.49A under gaming load and 1.11A on idle. I know that many attendees may have more power hungry machines, but equally there are many who are more conservative in their energy needs, so we feel that it is a reasonable risk to be taking.

However, we will be EXTREMELY STRICT about what is attached to the electrical supply ANYWHERE in the building, so make sure that anything you have with a battery is charged before you arrive, additional lights, fans, fridges and anything we consider to be less than essential will not be permitted ... also if you feel that you may be one of those people who have a power hungry beast of a machine ... PLEASE LET US KNOW ... we may be forced to rearrange seating based on spreading the heaviest load around.

This will be experimental, but we will be taking steps to monitor the current draw and have complete confidence that the power supply will accommodate us if we follow these simple procedures.

It is therefore, with the greatest of pleasure, my duty to inform you that LLAMALAN XI WILL BE A 48 PLAYER EVENT for the first time in it's history!
There will be an additional TWO seats on each team, we will arrange everyone as best we can to keep people in the informal groups which we know exist, however, from now you have a further two seats to rearrange yourself around in, please be understanding to anyone trying to get a group together in one place.

The additional spaces will be available for purchase from 6PM TOMORROW, FRIDAY the 27th of FEBRUARY to give everyone to arrange their groups and get their finances in order.

We would like to thank all of our loyal LlamaFANs without whose support we couldn't have achieved this EPIC milestone.

'der Management
D3TH
Herdshire
Herdshire

Re: LlamaLAN XI - VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

Post by D3TH »

great fucking news!!!!
Lans Attended: LL9, i33, i34, LL10, i35, i36, LL11

Lans Planning to Attended = i37, LL12

http://www.chris-mccafferty.info

Inferno
Cria
Cria

Post by Inferno »

mine pulls down a bit when in game
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

Inferno wrote:mine pulls down a bit when in game
Do you have any means to test it before arriving at the LAN?

We'll be attaching power meters to every socket providing power to the LAN which should give us an accurate insight into what is being drawn through at any point in time, and we'll monitor these as each person joins the table, we should be able to manage the power pretty effectively.
D3TH
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by D3TH »

planning to bring my console but i can make sure i only use one at one time.. also have you guys thought about the projector games?

i mean.. you guys probably did but more of.. people still play ont he PC's when the projector games are on!!

CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

D3TH wrote:planning to bring my console but i can make sure i only use one at one time.. also have you guys thought about the projector games?

i mean.. you guys probably did but more of.. people still play ont he PC's when the projector games are on!!
I'm glad to see that you will be conscientious in your console use, but I'm not quite sure what your point is on the projector games, would you care to elaborate in case we have overlooked something?
Inferno
Cria
Cria

Post by Inferno »

Its about 300 when in game and 220 when idle
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

Inferno wrote:Its about 300 when in game and 220 when idle
I'm guessing that is Watts and so I'll guess that using W=V*A and there A=W/V which by my calculations gives 1.25A which is well within tolerances for this event.
Inferno
Cria
Cria

Post by Inferno »

Yes it was watts
D3TH
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by D3TH »

CyberDrac wrote:
D3TH wrote:planning to bring my console but i can make sure i only use one at one time.. also have you guys thought about the projector games?

I'm glad to see that you will be conscientious in your console use, but I'm not quite sure what your point is on the projector games, would you care to elaborate in case we have overlooked something?
have you thought about the projector games while thinking of these extra places?

CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

Don't worry, the ProjectorGames staff are already sat covertly amongst you, and so they already have their seats :)
D3TH
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by D3TH »

CyberDrac wrote:Don't worry, the ProjectorGames staff are already sat covertly amongst you, and so they already have their seats :)
let me try this again!!!

This is regarding the POWER!!

you have told us about how much power that each PC can have etc etc

i am checking that you have also included and thought about the projector games and it will be running extra computers!!

CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

The discussions on the power have been primarily aimed at the four teams and their twelve members a piece running off eight of the ten sockets, the remaining two sockets will be supporting the infrastructure such as the servers, switches, and all the stage activities including ProjectorGames, the projector games, and sundry other essentials. Fear not, we have taken into account the various draws on the electric supply regardless of their location.
YaZoR
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by YaZoR »

I'll leave the electric heater at home then...
meh
Fatman
Cria
Cria

Post by Fatman »

awesome news! i only use one plug so i think im good :D